Friday, December 30, 2011

Keep What Is Valuable To You Because You May Never See It Again

Journaling is so important to me, as I do it all the time.  My own private journals.  I kept a journal when I was living with my mom, right after her diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease, when the Dr. said she can no longer live alone.  Another sister wrote in the journal sometimes, too.  But I did most of the writing.  I wrote about the good and the bad days, I quoted things mom said, I wrote of what she said during our prayers, and I wrote about my feelings and the struggles we both went through.  When I moved I placed the journal in another sister's hands, the one I turned over POA to.  I thought I did the right thing, to let the others continue to write in it.  But things changed.  The POA got stolen from the sister I gave it to, by another sister who wanted to control everything, and mom got taken away from her home.  Now I find out after months of asking about the journal, that the journal got 'lost in the shuffle'.  What is that supposed to mean?  It either means she didn't care enough to put it in a safe place and it got thrown out, or she gave it to the controlling sister because she was demanding everything be given to her.  In either case, it's gone.  A piece of my life with mom is gone.  It's more than paper with words.  I regret trying to do what I thought was right in thinking of my sisters.  I should have thought of myself and kept the journal.  I can rewrite some of what I remember but it won't be accurate.  I don't have dates, quotes, details.  My journaling now is very accurate and it will continue, without anyone taking it away from me.  I learned a very important lesson...don't give someone something that is very important to you if there is even a remote possibility you will never see it again, because what you value, someone else couldn't care less about.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I have hope that you will get that journal back some day, mom. I'm sorry that it is lost for now. It's not fair! Especially when you put all of your thoughts in there and it was something that you held very dear.

tbsomeday said...

oh jeri
i'm so sorry
some people are so cruel