Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Working Out

I am one of those people who has always worked out.  Well, at least for the past 15 years, or so.  I don't do it aggressively, but I do it regularly.  Because I am 54 years old, it does take a lot more work to see the results that I would like.  Oh well, that's life!  My reasons for excercising are to keep my body fit, lower my blood pressure, and maintain a healthy heart.  For the past 3 years I had been using weights at home, running outdoors or on the treadmill, or riding my bike.  I recently joined a new gym that opened up in my area.  Part of my decision to join a gym was to get out of the Arizona heat (summers are brutal when you are trying to run), use the weights for body toning, and take classes for the cardiovascular workout and hopefully to meet some new friends.  I am new to Arizona, and I don't really know very many people here other than my daughter and her family. 

Besides spinning, step, yoga, boot camp, etc., one of the classes I have really enjoyed taking is Zumba, or Latin Heat.  It incorporates different dance techniques to Latin music, like salsa, cumbia, calypso, mambo and rumba for a total body workout.  We also do a little hip-hop and belly dancing. Since I love to dance, this class is right up my alley, even though I have a hard time with some of those moves!  You don't have to dance with a partner, so it's perfect for someone who loves to dance but doesn't get the opportunity to go out and do it often.  And, you are working out in such a fun way...everybody seems to love it...I know I do!

No comments: